The Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 has been designed by the Department of Home Affairs to allow overseas students to stay back in Australia after completing their studies. There are two streams under this visa, which involve different requirements and benefits, and you can apply according to your academic qualifications. This visa will be helpful if you want to gain further study and work experience in Australia, which will, in turn, help you in your permanent residence visa application. This blog has discussed several crucial points you must remember before starting with your application procedure.
Be Aware Of The Specific Details Of The Two Streams
The Temporary Graduate Visa 485 is for international students who have not turned 50 and have finished a CRICOS-registered course from an Australian institute. Two streams of this visa are – Graduate Work Stream (GWS) and Post-Study Work Stream (PSWV).
Graduate Work Stream
If you have completed your graduation in a course related to occupation with high demand in Australia, you can apply for this stream. This visa lets an international graduate stay, study, and work in Australia. The main features of this stream are as follows.
- You can stay and work for a maximum of 18 months in Australia.
- You must have skills in an occupation that is listed on the relevant skilled occupations list.
- Your immediate family members can come and stay with you.
- The usual visa processing time is 17 to 19 months.
Post-study Work Stream
Students who graduated with a degree from an Australian university can apply for this visa. The essential features are as follows.
- You can stay, work, and study for 2 to 4 years in Australia based on your academic qualification.
- You should have been awarded your degree upon completion of a CRICOS-registered course.
- This stream also allows the applicants to bring their immediate family members to Australia.
- The usual processing time is 9 to 14 months.
Recently, a Second Post-study Work Stream has been introduced for applicants who have stayed, worked, and studied in a regional area with the PSWV. Depending on the regional location of the institute and the regional area where the individual lives, this stream allows them to live for 1 to 2 years more.
Check if you are eligible for the visa
You have to meet the following eligibility criteria to apply for this visa.
- You should have earned your graduation from an Australian educational institution.
- For different visa streams, you should hold specific academic qualifications. Holding a Diploma or a VET course certification can be enough if you go for the Graduate Work Stream. But for the Post-study Work Stream, you must hold a Bachelor, or a Masters or Doctorate.
- While applying, make sure your age is under 50 years.
- While applying, you should hold a substantive Australian visa.
- Satisfying the English language requirement is necessary for all Australian visas if you are not from English-speaking countries. You can take IELTS, PTE Academic, or OET and obtain at least the minimum overall band scores.
- For the Graduate Work Stream, you must complete a relevant skills assessment. However, it is not required for the Post-study Work Stream.
- You will need to fulfil the necessary health and character requirements. You will need to go through checks by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) for character certifications. Note that every applicant over 16 years of age is required to take this check.
- Having proper health insurance coverage is necessary. This requirement is discussed in the next section in more detail.
You must have adequate health insurance cover to support your 485 Visa application
Every international student and their family members have to hold a valid Australian health cover throughout their stay. Otherwise, the students are not granted the Student Visa Subclass 500. The visa cover that is usually granted to students is OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover).
Therefore, your health cover requirement will automatically get covered if you hold your Australian student visa when applying for the 485 Subclass Visa. In that case, you will need to include documentary evidence of your current OSHC with your visa application.
When the Department of Home Affairs processes your visa application, the health insurance should remain valid. If your OSHC policy nears expiration, you can think of applying for Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC). Both these visas are allowed in the mid-stages of the application procedure.
However, at the end of the application process, i.e. when it is nearing the visa decision time, you must have the OVHC. You should also make sure that this health insurance cover remains valid throughout your stay in Australia with the 485 Visa.
Follow these steps to apply for your Temporary Graduate Visa
To make a complete application, follow the steps below.
- First, check if your current visa is valid. If your student visa has already expired, you can apply for a Bridging Visa.
- If you choose the Graduate Work Stream to apply for, you must complete your skills assessment conducted by a relevant assessing authority.
- If you satisfy all the eligibility, you should now gather all the necessary documents. Documents should include proof of your qualifications, skills assessment, identity, and relationships.
- Once all the documents are gathered, you can now complete your application. You can now apply online, which makes the whole process much easier than before. But make sure all the paper documents are scanned properly as you will need to upload them. You will also need to make the payment to complete your application. Currently, the application fee is AUD1680 for the main applicant.
- Once your application is received, the Department of Home Affairs will let you know. While processing, they may send you additional queries, which you have to respond to.
- You will be informed about the visa decision through email. Whether it is a positive or negative outcome, you will get to know.
Before making the application, there are some things you will need to check out. First of all, you must see if your course was registered with the CRICOS. If you go for the Graduate Work Stream, you must check if your occupation is listed on the skilled occupation list. This list can be found on the government website.
For professional help, you can hire a Registered Migration Agent Perth
You can work full time with your 485 Visa
One of the significant benefits of holding the Visa Subclass 485 is working as a full-time employee for an Australian company. This work experience not only enriches your skills or adds value to the CV but also serves great benefit when it comes to applying for an Australian permanent residence visa. Working for 2 to 4 years in the Australian workspace helps an applicant earn valuable points in the points test.
How Can A Migration Consultancy Help?
Several migration consultancies in Australia provide a range of migration services to reduce the stress associated with an Australian visa application procedure. Whether you prefer completing your application on your own and require some minor advice or whether you require detailed assistance, get in touch with the officials. Australian registered migration agents are the best individuals to offer you help regarding immigration to Perth.